My morning meditation begins at 7:30 in a nearby pool. For an hour each day I am able to exercise my body and free my mind to flow with the water and explore the nooks and crannies of experience. For me it is a magical time of solitude and at the same time oneness with the water which has become a metaphor for all of creation. the rhythmic splash of the water as I go through my motions lulls me into an altered state where things seem clearer and I am able to observe life from a distance and see patterns and forms that are less obvious when in the chaos of life being lived in form. It is as if I am one with my higher self and find words to express the vision...

Friday, December 21, 2012

Is Integrity old fashioned?


Are respect and integrity becoming casualties of the world in chaos? When did it become unimportant to keep our word and our commitments? Do excuses and apologies repair the damage when we fail to live up to these commitments? Why do we commit to things we are unable to complete? Is it really a case of being out of touch with our own reality?

I was invited to a party last night in a restaurant for the birthday of a friend. Others were to show up as well. Two of us waited an hour for the others and finally left. Apologies ensued but the fact was that we kept our commitments and they did not. I was not mad but disappointed to lose a friendship because the other was not up to the challenge of living in integrity.

I do not know about others but I am through giving bad behavior a free ride. I am not so needy that I am willing to overlook breaches of integrity and respect in order to maintain friendships. The friends I cherish are those that show up unquestioning when and how we agree to and do not make excuses or commitments that they cannot keep. To me that is integrity and respect but perhaps that is an old fashioned concept and out of touch with today’s reality. Whatever…

As for me, I will continue to operate in a world where my word has meaning. Those I choose to have in my life KNOW that when I say I will do something or be somewhere that they can bet their life on the fact that I will go through “hell and high water” to keep my commitment because I have given my word. In this new paradigm that we are creating, I choose to include only those who I can count to do the same. We have a choice as to whom and what we bring into our lives. If those who wish things were different were to step up and make them different in their lives, that would be our new reality.

Just a thought…Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment